Len Czuba (President, Czuba Enterprises, Inc.)
Frank Pokrop (Dir Reg Affairs, Quidel)
Vipul Dave', PhD (Senior Materials Engineering Fellow, Johnson & Johnson)
Rob Chase (Founder and President, NewGen Surgical)
Nick Packet (MDM Specialist, Packaging Engineer , Dupont)
Date: Tuesday, February 11
Time: 1:15 pm - 3:00 pm
MD&M Conference: Advancements in Medical Plastics for Medtech
Vault Recording: TBD
The plastics industry has been hit hard to find ways to be more sustainable. Designing products that can be sustainably manufactured, distributed, used, and disposed of is hard. Medical devices must be effective, safe, and cost-effective, first and foremost. The desire to protect patients and clinicians from infections or other unintended consequences during a medical visit encourages disposability and results in additional packaging. Regulations, standards, and other requirements result in piles of "instructions for use", warning labels, and translations that accumulate in waste bins and clutter clinical spaces. How might we as an industry address sustainability in the development and manufacturing of medical products? You’ll hear from top industry experts who will discuss what the medical device community can do to alleviate pressure on the environment, help keep plastics out of oceans, promote sustainability and reduce environmental impact.
Topics covered include:
- How manufactures and suppliers can partner with distributors and customers to better understand the actual life-cycle of a product
- Identifying where and how the use of plastics can be reduced
- What can our industry do to keep SUDs and medical device plastics out of the landfill or waste stream?
- Are single use medical devices the answer or the problem?
- Case examples from leading manufacturers who are addressing the sustainability challenge and measuring success